Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Homemade Teacher Gift Idea

 I wanted to make something very special for B's Kindergarden teacher and the helper in his class this year because they are just so amazing. Almost every day he comes home and tells me how much he loves his teacher and he has made huge progress already. I know teachers like anything homemade and from the heart. But I've also heard they love gift cards. I found a way to combine both into a pretty little package. So here is how I did it:
 I started by taping a tea towel to the kitchen table.
B drew a picture on it and wrote a special message on it.
This is how it turned out. I threw it in the dryer for 30 minutes so that the colors won't run when it gets wet.
 Next, we made glittery wooden spoons. These were an idea from Heather because she created these for her Recipe Party as prizes and we loved how they turned out so much, I wanted to make them as Christmas gifts. This was more of a nap time project because the glitter can be messy with the kids. So, below is what I used to make them. I just bought fine glitter, Martha Stewart Decoupage glue and Sealer, a set of wooden spoons and a foam brush. 
 First, tape off the area that you want the glitter to be on the spoon. 
Then, brush the area with the decoupage glue and sealer.
 Sprinkle the glitter all over the decoupaged area making sure to use plenty so that you only need one coat of glitter.
 Then, I hung them over the counter to dry for about 3 hours. 
 After they were dry, I applied one more layer of decoupage glue with the foam brush (so that I didn't get glitter in the glue). 
Then I let them dry overnight. The best thing about these spoons is that no glitter comes off even when used or washed! 
Next, I used a hole punch for the hole in the gift card and slid the ribbon through, and tied a bow.

Here is how they turned out. I think it's a useful, yet homemade gift from the heart that his teachers are really going to love. Let me know what you think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment